Ask A&B Ingredients Questions
Ask the Supplier
Popular A&B Ingredients ProductsView all A&B Ingredients Products
Message our experts with questions
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
A&B Ingredients Mediterranean Umami Features & Benefits
- Low Sodium
- No Artificial Flavors
- Made in Israel
- Up to 45% sodium reduction contributes to a healthy diet
- Fulfils demands for clean label products with simple ingredients
- Not overpowering
- Balance & Enhance Flavor Profile
- Substantial Sodium Reduction
- Clean Label
- Applicable to a Variety of Products
- Mediterranean Umami is a savory mix of sea salt and pure vegetable extracts, including tomato, seaweed, and mushroom.
- Umami is one of the five basic flavors, often referred to as the "fifth taste." It is known to draw out and intensify flavors, thereby increasing consumer satisfaction. Umami is beneficial to food manufacturers, as it allows salt and sugar reduction in products without compromising the sweet and savory flavor. Umami has a unique ability to subtly build back a balanced and natural flavor profile that otherwise is diminished in many low sodium applications.
- Mediterranean Umami is highly soluble, contains no MSG, and is free from any artificial ingredients. Using our Umami blend is a simple solution in maintaining a clean label claim on products while also staying within suggested sodium and sugar consumption guidelines.
Umami has a Unique Savory Flavor Due To Glutamates
- Umami's unique savory flavor is a result of glutamate interactions with the receptors on our tongue. Glutamates are naturally occurring amino acids and are the most abundant amino acid found in nature. Some examples of glutamate-rich foods include beef jerky, cheese, seaweed, tomatoes, mushrooms, soy, potatoes, seafood, broths, and stocks.
Umami and Glutamates Role in Digestion
- Research studies are beginning to find that glutamate may have a role in digestion. Umami receptors can be found both on the tongue and in the stomach. When the receptors sense the glutamate, the vagus nerve transmits that information to the brain, which thus sets off a cascade of events to prepare for digestion and nutrient absorption (source: Umami Information Center).
- Another research study evaluated Umami's role in weight management and satisfaction levels amongst consumers. The research suggests that Umami may have a role in managing appetite and early satiety.
Use Natural Antioxidants to Replace Synthetic Preservatives
- Our natural antioxidants play an ever-increasing role in the food industry as the industry continues its rapid shift away from the probable carcinogens BHA and BHT. And, while there is an overabundance of antioxidant choices, A&B Ingredients has centered its focus on a line of natural, plant-based antioxidants with clean label options.
- CytoGuard natural antioxidants are produced through a solvent-free extraction of the phenolic compounds naturally present in select plants. CytoGuard natural antioxidants have a clean flavor profile and have minimal impact on the organoleptic properties of food products at typical usage levels.
Applications & Uses
Mediterranean Umami’s functionality, robust taste, and clean label make it the preferred solution for flavor enhancement in
- Fish, meat, and prepared meals
- Tomato-based fillings
- Canned Tuna
- Meat (Hamburger, Frankfurter)
- Plant-Based "Meats" (Vegetarian Options)
- Snack Foods
Technical Details & Test Data
- Our research has found that CytoGuard natural antioxidants are among the most powerful plant-based antioxidants with demonstrated high antioxidant activity and performance levels beyond the traditional rosemary extracts. They are also a natural alternative to synthetic BHT and TBHQ.