CytoGuard® LA 20 is a powerful, clean label antimicrobial, based on Lauric Arginate (LAE). Use in RTE meat products including ham, hot dogs, roast beef, turkey. Lauric Arginate (LAE) is a derivative of lauric acid, L-arginine and ethanol – all naturally occurring substances. It has high water solubility, activity over a wide pH range (3-7), GRAS and non-toxic, effective against a wide range of bacteria.
Ask A&B Ingredients Questions
Ask the Supplier
Popular A&B Ingredients ProductsView all A&B Ingredients Products
Message our experts with questions
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
Cytoguard® LA 20 Features & Benefits
- Lauric Arginate (LAE) is GRAS certified and approved for use in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, among other countries
- LAE is a powerful antimicrobial known to reduce various foodborne pathogens and spoilage bacteria
- Provides the initial kill step in the food production process and packaging equivalent to in situ pasteurization, significantly reducing bacteria loads
- When combined with other natural preservatives, it can substantially improve food safety and shelf life
- Does not affect the taste or the sensorial properties of the food
- CytoGUARD LA is a highly cost-effective antimicrobial agent
- Safe to use in food applications.
- L-arginine is an essential amino acid present in many food sources, including poultry, seafood, cheese, cereals, nuts, seeds.
- Lauric acid can be found in oils such as coconut and palm kernel.
- Ethanol is the product of the fermentation of sugars. It is short-chain alcohol.
- Lauric Arginate is a food-grade antimicrobial synthesized from food components lauric acid, naturally occurring in palm and coconuts, and L-arginine, an essential amino acid. Its remarkable antimicrobial properties, paired with low toxicity levels, make it an optimal bactericidal control tool in food production. This unique antimicrobial agent made from natural ingredients is proven to be extremely effective and can kill up to 99.99% of the foodborne pathogens and spoilage bacteria in a wide range of products.
- Kills bacteria on contact (best used as a surface treatment)
- Can be used with other inhibitors to extend shelf life
- Easy to use
- Low cost in use
- Clear flavorless liquid
- Stable up to one year
- Made in the U.S.
- Broad-spectrum antimicrobial
- Effective tool for pathogenic bacteria control providing a high degree of food safety
- Effective against spoilage bacteria which is an important step to ensure food protection and food quality
- Activity over a wide pH range (3 to 7)
- High partition coefficient (>10) means the agent concentrates in the water phase of products, where most bacterial activity occurs
- Does not affect the appearance or flavor of the food
- Low Usage Levels
- Processing aid status in some applications
- Efficacy supported by extensive internal studies and published documents (including USDA) and can be validated with customer products at A&B Ingredients micro lab
Applications & Uses
The preferred method of application of CytoGuard™ LA 20 is through the SLIC® (Sprayed Lethality In Container) process. Due to its high activity and wide pH stability range, CytoGuard™ LA 20 can be used at low dosages with no perceptible impact on flavor.
- Raw meat and poultry
- Ready-to-eat fresh cuts of meat and poultry
- Frozen seafood
- Fresh produce
- Prepared salads and more
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|pH Value (1% Solution)||2 - 4||-||-|
|Active Ingredient Content (Lauric Arginate)||10 ± 1||%||-|
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
Regulatory & Compliance
Technical Details & Test Data
- A&B Ingredients is the premier manufacturer of Lauric Arginate in the U.S.
- We have extended expertise in the use and application of Lauric Arginate in meat and other food products
- We have collaborated with the USDA and many research institutions to substantiate the use of LAE as a food safety and food-protecting agent
- We have collaborated with the USDA to develop the SLIC® (Sprayed Lethality in Container) patented process for LAE application, which is exclusively licensed to A&B Ingredients, Inc.
- Regional and top 100 meat processors in the U.S. have adopted the SLIC® method
- Over ten years of experience with LAE supported by internal and third-party studies published in peer-reviewed publications
- Patented manufacturing process
- Product manufactured in the U.S.
- A diverse portfolio of food safety solutions that, when used in combination, can add a higher level of antimicrobial protection for your products
- Customized and proprietary solutions that improve efficacy and offer cost advantages
- Technical support and application testing
Packaging & Availability
Available in 20 kg pails, 220 kg drums, and 1280 kg totes.
Storage & Handling
CytoGuard™ LA 20 has a maximum shelf life of 1 year when stored in a cool environment; avoid storage temperatures above 30°C (86°F) and below 4°C (39°F).