Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality+
Features & Benefits+
Applications & Uses+
- Additol XL 186 is a specific, high efficiency additive which improves the intercoat adhesion of top coats or surfacers to primers. It is compatible with coatings, so that, as long as the recommended amounts of addition are followed, it does not give rise to surface defects or the reduction of film properties.
- The improvement of adhesion has a favourable influence on the mechanical properties of the coating and improves the anticorrosion properties; weather resistance and storage stability are unchanged.
- In the case of formulations containing acid-sensitive organic pigments, it may lead to colour changes: in such cases it is necessary to check the compatibility in preliminary tests.
- Additol XL 186 may be combined with anionic and nonionic surfactants. However, in the case of cationic products, the compatibility must be checked in preliminary tests, since the danger of mutual coprecipitaion exists and the gloss of the coating may be reduced. An improvement in the adhesion direct to metal of stoving enamels and very rapid air drying paints on sheet iron can be observed in many cases.
- In oxidatively drying coatings, the choice of too high dosage may inhibit the drying properties. After dilution with a suitable waterthinnable organic solvent, Additol XL 186 can also be used in anionically stabilized waterborne paints, the pH value of the paint system must be adjusted.
Additol XL 186 improves the adhesion of stoving enamels and fast drying air drying paints on sheet iron, and in particular, the intercoat adhesion of multi-coat paint systems
Additol XL 186 can be diluted with ethers and ketones as e. g. diglycol dimethyl ether or methyl ethyl ketone. Stable solutions are obtained as long as the Additol content remains below 30 %. It is very soluble in alcohols, however the solutions are not chemically stable (alcoholysis) and must therefore be used immediately after preparation.
Technical Details & Test Data+
Additol XL 186 can be added in any stage of the coating manufacture. Most favourable is the addition in the let-down stage, prior to the adjustment with solvents, otherwise it can lower the viscosity. Prior thinning of Additol XL 186 with methyl ethyl ketone or diglycol dimethyl ether simplifies the dosage. Additions of 0.3 - 1 % Additol XL 186 on the total formulation are recommended.
Storage & Handling+
At temperatures up to 25 °C storage stability packed in original containers amounts to at least 730 days. Additol XL 186 may crystallize but however becomes liquid again at 30 °C