ADDITOL® XW 6565
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality+
Features & Benefits+
Pigment concentrates based on Additol XW 6565 can be used in most solventbased and all waterbased architectural paints with very low contribution to VOC.
Applications & Uses+
Additol XW 6565 is a unique multifunctional universal grinding medium, designed for performance optimized solventbased, waterbased and all low VOC decorative paints.
The special composition yields the following benefits:
- excellent color development,
- viscosity control and stabilization with all architectural pigments,
- optimized pigment paste formulations for POS tinting,
- glycol & Surfactant free pastes,
- enables formulation of near to zero VOC pigment pastes,
- improved humidity & water resistance performance,
- reduced paint blocking times,
- short grinding times,
- high pigment loading for in plant tinting.
Experimental design techniques have yielded a very versatile powerful universal grinding medium.
In some cases improved pigment paste properties can be achieved by using:
- Additol VXW 6205 as a dispersing agent for inorganic pigments to reduce mill base viscosity
- Additol XW 6544 as defoamer
For less critical paints Additol XW 6535 might be considered
Technical Details & Test Data+
Combine and premix the full quantity of Additol XW 6565, Acticide MBS and Additol XW 6544 on a dissolver for a few minutes. With agitation speed sufficient to maintain a good vortex, slowly add the pigment while controlling the viscosity by adding water as required. Pre-disperse for at least 15 min on a dissolver at a high viscosity level. Then adjust viscosity with water to meet the requirements of the bead mill. Grind to particle size below 5 µm. Check color strength and mill to stable maximum color strength. Temperature during grinding should be between 30 - 50 °C or the maximum temperatures of the pigments used.
- To achieve maximum color strength in solvent borne systems keep the level of additional water as low as possible.
- The dosage of Additol XW 6565 on pigment should be a minimum of 60 % on inorganic pigments and 80 % on organic pigments.
- Grinding time depends on bead mill used and pigment chemistry.
- To adjust viscosity to special requirements it is recommended to uses PU-thickeners, fumed silica or clays in moderate dosages.
- Pigment pastes developed around Additol XW 6565 do not form crystalline flakes. If humectants are needed they should be evaluated carefully as some may be detrimental to color strength development.
- Adjustment of pH value is not recommended.
Packaging & Availability+
Storage & Handling+
At temperatures up to 25 °C storage stability packed in original containers amounts to at least 365 days. Synthetic resins containing water may freeze and/or separate at temperatures below 0 °C. However, this will not cause any damage to the product, but it will be necessary for extended heat treatment at 40 - 50 °C with continuous stirring for regeneration. It is therefore recommended to store in a "keep from freezing" environment.