A film former designed for long lasting benefits in color cosmetics and skin care applications. It exhibits good compatibility with organic sunscreens, pigments and cosmetic ingredients. It provides sebum resistance, wash off resistance as well as comfort to wear.
Features & Benefits
- Film former
- Compatibility with organic sunscreens, pigments and cosmetic ingredients
- Additive in color cosmetics
- Durable foundation with comfort to wear
- Lipstick with long lasting, non-transfer and comfort properties
- Wash off resistance
- Sebum resistance and reduction
- Flexible hold with bounce
Ask Dow North America Questions
Ask the Supplier
Popular Dow North America ProductsView All Dow North America Products
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
- 40% polymer in Isododecane
DOWSIL(TM) FA 4012 ID Silicone Acrylate Features & Benefits
Applications & Uses
This is a low viscosity fluid that is easily incorporated into a variety of personal care formulations.
When heat is used, the material should be processed in an enclosed vessel to prevent the isododecane from volatilizing; the vessel should be inerted at temperatures over 40°C (104°F).
Table 1: Compatibilities with common cosmetic ingredients.
|Ratio of DOWSIL™ FA 4012 ID Silicone Acrylate: other material||1/9||5/5||9/1|
|Ethylhexyl Dimethyl PABA||M||M||C|
|DOWSIL™ 556 Cosmetic Grade Fluid||C||C||C|
|DOWSIL™ 593 Fluid||NC||M||NC|
|DOWSIL™ 2502 Cosmetic Fluid||NC||NC||C|
|DOWSIL™ 9040 Silicone||C||C||C|
|XIAMETER™ PMX-200/10 Silicone cSt.||M||M||C|
|XIAMETER™ PMX-200/350 Silicone cSt.||M||M||M|
|XIAMETER™ PMX 1401 Fluid||M||M||M|
|XIAMETER™ PMX 1413 Fluid||M||M||M|
|XIAMETER™ PMX 1501 Fluid||M||M||M|
|XIAMETER™ PMX 1503 Fluid||M||M||M|
|C12-15 alkyl benzoate||C||C1||C|
|Ethanol Absolute 98%||NC||C||C|
C = Compatible
M = Miscible
NC = Not compatible
Figure 1: Evaporation profile of solvents - cyclopentasiloxane and isododecane.
Figure 2: Foundation durability to evidence resistance of silicone acrylate copolymer compared to an MQ resin blend and a leading commercial product.
Figure 3: Lipstick wear ability to evidence long lasting and comfort properties of silicone acrylate copolymer compared to an MQ resin blend and a leading commercial product.
- Personal care applications including color cosmetic, sun care and hair care.
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Cyclopentasiloxane Content||max. 0.1||wt%||-|
|Cyclotetrasiloxane Content||max. 0.1||wt%||-|
|Flash Point||40||°C||Open Cup|
|Non Volatile Content (1g/150C/3h/Al Cup)||37.0 - 43.0||%||CTM0208|
|Non-volatile Content (1g/150°C /3 hours)||40||%||-|
|Refractive Index (at 25°C)||1.420 - 1.440||-||CTM0002|
|Viscosity (at 25°C)||max. 300||mm²/s||-|
|Viscosity Capillary (at 25°C)||30.0 - 300.0||mm²/s||CTM0004|
Regulatory & Compliance
Technical Details & Test Data
- This product is neither tested nor represented as suitable for medical or pharmaceutical uses.
Safety & Health
- To support customers in their product safety needs, Dow has an extensive Product Stewardship organization and a team of product safety and regulatory compliance specialists available in each area.
- For further information, please see our website, consumer.dow.com or consult your local Dow representative.
Packaging & Availability
Storage & Handling
- Isododecane may cause skin irritation upon repeated and prolonged exposures. Proper dilution of this product into consumer personal care end products is recommended.
- Product safety information required for safe use is not included in this document. Before handling, read Product and Safety data sheets and container labels for safe use, physical and health hazard information. The safety data sheet is available on the dow website at dow.com, or from your dow sales application engineer, or distributor, or by calling dow customer service.
- When stored at or below 32°C in the original unopened containers, this product has a usable life of 24 months from the date of production.
- Store BELOW 32C/90F