Popular Sasol ProductsView all Sasol Products
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
ISOFOL 12 Features & Benefits
Applications & Uses
ISOFOL Alcohols and their derivatives are used as raw materials and intermediates in many application areas including:
- Lubricants – converted to esters having improved hydrolytic stability and lower pour points than linear counterparts.
- Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals – an odorless ingredient of creams, lotions, and ointments.
- Personal Care – sulfate derivative gives low foaming cleansing.
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Refractive Index (nD20)||approx. 1.443||-||DIN 51423|
|Iodine Value||max. 0.5||mg I/100mg||600-39|
|iC 12 OH||min. 97.0||wt. %||600-12a|
|Ester value||max. 0.3||mg KOH/g||600-33|
|Acid number||max. 0.05||mg KOH/g||600-31|
|Boiling Point||approx. 243||°C||600-21|
|Flash point||approx. 120||°C||DIN 51758|
|Molecular weight||approx. 186||g/mol||600-19|
|Hydroxyl value||286 - 305||mg KOH/g||600-30|
|Water Content||max. 0.1||wt. %||DIN 51777|
|Color Value||max. 10||-||EN ISO 6271-2|
|Melting range||max. -30||°C||600-27|
|Density (at 20°C)||0.831 - 0.835||g/ml||DIN 51757|
|Viscosity (at 20°C)||approx. 23||mPa.s||600-25|
Regulatory & Compliance
Technical Details & Test Data
The ISOFOL alcohols C12 to C24 are liquid at ambient temperature, whereas corresponding linear and saturated alcohols are solid. While oleyl alcohol starts to solidify at approx. 10 °C, ISOFOL alcohol of similar chain lengths remains liquid
The temperature-dependant kinematic viscosity of ISOFOL alcohols is shown in Figure
Packaging & Availability
Storage & Handling
Precautions for safe handling
Advice on safe handling
- Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice
- Provide sufficient air exchange and/or exhaust in work rooms
Advice on protection against fire and explosion
- The product is flammable but not readily ignited. Normal measures for preventive fire protection.
- B: Fires involving liquids or liquid containing substances. Also includes substances which become liquid at elevated temperatures
Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
Storage class (TRGS 510)
- 10-13: German Storage Class 10 to 13
- Stable under normal conditions.