Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
Applications & Uses
BHT is a hindered phenolic antioxidant/preservative that is used widely in the following:
- Plastics – Polypropylene, HDPE, LDPE, Polystyrene, PVC, ABS, Polybutylene and Hydrocarbon Resins.
- Elastomers – Block copolymers, SBR, EPDM, Nitrile, Neoprene and other synthetic and natural rubbers.
- Oils – Lubricating, specialty and synthetic oils, industrial fats, fatty acids, transformer oils and transmission fluids
- Food – Lard, shortening, tallow, vegetable oils, animals feeds
It is also known to be used in :
- Washing & cleaning products
- Lubricants and greases
- Plant protection products
- Adhesives and sealants
- Polishes and waxes
- Coating products and fertilisers
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Color (Molten)||max. 50||APHA||Available upon request|
|Ash, Residue Upon Ignition||max. 0.002||%||Available upon request|
|Heavy Metals (as Lead)||max. 10||ppm||Available upon request|
|Arsenic||max. 3||ppm||Available upon request|
|Freezing Point||min. 69.2||°C||Available upon request|
Solubilities at 20°C (Weight %)
|Methyl Ethyl Ketone||45%|
Regulatory & Compliance
Safety & Health
BHT has been classified as “very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects” due to immobilization of water fleas at the limits of water solubility. BHT is not generally considered toxic to fish at the limits of water solubility. BHT is not readily degradable in the environment and may bio-accumulate in aquatic organisms, so care must be taken to prevent it from entering surface or ground waters. BHT should be disposed of in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations as a non-hazardous waste.
BHT is directly incorporated into products at low levels and does not readily leach or evaporate from preserved materials. Therefore, BHT once incorporated into products essentially has no environmental impact beyond those posed by the products themselves.
Packaging & Availability
- 3-ply lined paper bags (Crystal and Free Flow Crystal): 50 lb net (domestic) and 25 kg net (export)
- Fiber drum/lever lock with seals: 100 lb net (Crystal and Free Flow Crystal) and 200 lb net (Free Flow Crystal only)
- Other packaging on request: Bulk bags (Free Flow Crystal only), tank truck (Molten BHT)
- Blends of BHT in mineral oil (Impruvol 20) and other oils are also available.
- BHT Free Flow Crystal (pellet) is free flowing due to the larger particle size and a more spherical shape of the crystalline product. There is no free flowing agent added to this product.
Storage & Handling
Safe handling advice
- Minimize dust generation and accumulation.
- Routine housekeeping should be instituted to ensure that dusts do not accumulate on surfaces.
- Provide sufficient air exchange and/or exhaust in work rooms.
- Dry powders can build static electricity charges when subjected to the friction of transfer and mixing operations.
- During processing, dust may form explosive mixture in air.
- Provide adequate precautions, such as electrical grounding and bonding, or inert atmospheres.
- Keep away from heat and sources of ignition.
- Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
- Do not breathe vapours/dust.
- Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice.
- BHT should be stored in closed containers under dry conditions.
- BHT may yellow and/or agglomerate over time. This will not affect its efficacy to the products being stabilized.
- Sasol Chemicals does not guarantee the suitability of this product for any particular use. The user is solely responsible for determining specific product application and suitability
Refer the SDS for detailed information.