Sasol n-Propyl Acetate
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality+
Features & Benefits+
Applications & Uses+
- Solvent in surface coatings
- Solvent in inks
- Flavors and fragrances
Other common known uses of this substance are in the following products: Lubricants and greases, coating products, anti-freeze products, adhesives and sealants, perfumes and fragrances, washing & cleaning products, leather treatment products, polishes and waxes and cosmetics and personal care products.
n-Propyl acetate is also used in the following products: laboratory chemicals, washing & cleaning products and metal working fluids.
n-Propyl acetate is widely used in the following areas: Building & construction work and scientific research and development.
It is used for the manufacture of: fabricated metal products, electrical, electronic and optical equipment and machinery and vehicles.
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Acidity (as CH3COOH)||max. 0.01||mass %||ASTM D1613, DIN 55652|
|n-Propyl Acetate (Dry Basis)||min. 99.5||mass %||GC|
|n-Propanol Content||max. 0.50||mass %||GC|
|Distillation at 101.3 Kpa: Initial Boiling Point||100.5||°C||ASTM D1078, ISO 918|
|Distillation at 101.3 Kpa: Final Boiling Point||102.5||°C||ASTM D1078, ISO 918|
|Purity (Wet Basis)||99.5||wt%||GC|
|Specific Gravity at 20/20°C||min. 0.885 (max. 0.890)||-||ASTM D4052|
|Residue on Evaporation||100.0||mg/100ml||ASTM D1353|
|Water Content||max. 0.10||%||AOCS Ca 2e-84|
|Density at 20°C||0.885-0.890||g/ml||ASTM D4052, ISO 12185|
Regulatory & Compliance+
Sasol n-Propyl Acetate is listed under following regulations and sections:
CFR; Title 21 Food and Drugs; Part 172 Food additives permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption
- § 172.515 Synthetic flavoring substances and adjuvants
CFR; Title 21 Food and Drugs; Part 175 Indirect food additives: Adhesives and components of coatings
- § 175.320 Resinous and polymeric coatings for polyolefin films
CFR; Title 21 Food and Drugs; Part 176 Indirect food additives: Paper and paperboard components
- § 176.170 Components of paper and paperboard in contact with aqueous and fatty foods
- § 176.180 Components of paper and paperboard in contact with dry food
- § 176.200 Defoaming agents used in coatings
CFR; Title 21 Food and Drugs; Part 177 Indirect food additives: Polymers
- § 177.1200 Cellophane
- § 177.1400 Hydroxyethyl cellulose film, water-insoluble.
CFR; Title 21 Food and Drugs; Part 178 Indirect food additives: Adjuvants, production aids, and sanitizers
- § 178.3570 Lubricants with incidental food contact
- § 178.3910 Surface lubricants used in the manufacture of metallic articles
Storage & Handling+
Precautions for safe handling
Advice on safe handling
- Ensure adequate ventilation.
- Vapours are heavier than air and may spread along floors.
- Avoid formation of aerosol.
Advice on protection against fire and explosion
- Do not allow to enter drains (danger of explosion).
- Use only explosion-proof equipment.
- Take precautionary measures against static discharges.
- Vapours may form explosive mixtures with air.
- Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking.
Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
Requirements for storage areas and containers
- Keep tightly closed in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place.
Storage class (TRGS 510)
- 3: Flammable Liquids