SASOLWAX EnHance FG
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality+
Features & Benefits+
Sasol’s Fischer-Tropsch hard waxes are synthetically produced by using gas-to-liquids (GTL)technology, in which Sasol is globally recognised as a commercial and technical pioneer. The GTL process uses natural gas to produce premium Fischer-Tropsch hard waxes. To improve the processability of polyolefins during injection moulding, Sasol developed a highly crystalline Fischer-Tropsch hard wax EnHance FG.
EnHance FG acts as a viscosity modifier during injection moulding and ensures ideal processing of the polyolefins by:
- Increasing output rates by reducing the cycle times with no adverse effects on physical and mechanical properties of the moulded articles
- Allowing lower injection and hold-on pressures to be used
- Improving mould release
- Reducing moulded in stresses, particularly in HDPE (i.e., improved ESCR)
- Improving dispersion of fillers and pigments
- Easier mould filling
- Reduction or elimination of the use of mould release agents
- Power savings
EnHance is a highly crystalline Fischer-Tropsch hydrocarbon designed to improve the
processability of polyolefins during injection moulding. Fischer-Tropsch hydrocarbons are highly compatible with polyolefins and, when used at the recommended loadings, are dissolved in the polymer matrix.
EnHance acts as a viscosity modifier during the processing of polyolefins, allowing faster plasticisation, lower melt viscosity, lower melt pressure, and quicker injection.
EnHance allows for the use of lower temperature profiles and hence reduces cooling times. These factors ultimately result in faster cycle times during injection moulding; rates are typically increased by between 10 % and 25 % with no adverse effects on physical dimensions or mechanical properties of the moulded articles. Typically temperatures are lowered by 10 – 20 °C.
EnHance can also be used to aid the dispersion of inorganic fillers, e.g., calcium carbonate, talc, etc., in polyolefins during compounding prior to injection moulding.
EnHance FG can be used in food contact applications.
Applications & Uses+
The full benefits of EnHance can only be gained under correct processing conditions.
The following general guidelines are recommended.
- Typical concentrations of EnHance in polyolefins are between 1 – 2 %. In certain cases levels of up to 4 % can be used.
- EnHance must be added to the polymer prior to injection moulding using standard methods currently used to add and mix master batches to polyolefins. Good mixing is necessary to achieve consistent results. The use of hopper mixers or tumble blenders (minimum 20 minutes) is sufficient when using EnHance. “Hand” mixing is not recommended.
- Simply adding EnHance without adjusting process conditions will not provide any cycle time benefits – these require a re-optimisation of the machine settings, particularly plasticising and injection times, injection and hold-on pressures, temperature profiles and cooling times.
- EnHance may also be incorporated into White, Black, or Filler masterbatch.
- Uniform performance may be realized if EnHance is used to substitute waxes, metal soaps, and other binder materials commonly used in masterbatch formulations.
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Drop Melting Point||117||°C||ASTM D 3954|
|Congealing Point||102||°C||ASTM D 938|
|Penetration (at 25 °C)||1||0.1 mm||ASTM D 1321|
|Brookfield Viscosity (at 135°C)||13||cP||Sasol 1010|
|Color||+ 17||Saybolt||Sasol 2000|
|Viscosity (at 135°C)||10||cP||-|
|Oil Content||max. 0.2||wt%||-|
The specifications of Sasolwax EnHance FG are secured through our highly developed production technology. The management system including production is certified according to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
Regulatory & Compliance+
FDA CFR 21
- §175.105 “Adhesives”
- §175.250 “Paraffin (synthetic)”
- §175.300 “Resinous and polymeric coatings”
- §175.320 “Resinous and polymeric coatings for polyolefin films”
- §176.170 “Components of paper and paperboard in contact with aqueous and fatty foods”
- §176.180 “Components of paper and paperboard in contact with dry food”
- §177.1200 “Cellophane“
- §177.1390 “Laminate structures for use at temperatures of 250 °F and above”
Commission Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food: product is in compliance with the specification of Ref. No. 95859 Waxes, refined, derived from petroleum based or synthetic hydrocarbon feedstocks, high viscosity.
Recommendation of the BfR (German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment) XXV,
Part C, (Synthetische Hartparaffine)
European specifications for food additives according to E905
Technical Details & Test Data+
|Kettle||Garden chair (unfilled)|
|Product weight (kg)||0.3||0.3||2.2||2.2|
|Moulding cycle (seconds)||66||54.5||58||52|
|Moulding output (parts/hr)||54||66||62||69|
|Production output (parts/day)||1309||1585||1489||1661|
|Increased output (%)||–||21||–||10|
|Beer crates||Paint pails|
|Product weight (kg)||2.20||2.19||2.15||2.16||0.75||0.75|
|Moulding cycle (seconds)||75||69||49||45||19.2||16.5|
|Moulding output (parts/hr)||48||52||73||80||187||218|
|Production output (parts/day)||1152||1248||1752||1920||4488||5232|
|Increased output (%)||–||8||–||10||-||17|
* These values represent typical results observed and may be considered an indication of the advantages offered by the correct usage of EnHance.
Packaging & Availability+
|SUPPLY FORMS||20 KG BAG|
|Transportation classification||Not a dangerous substance|
Storage & Handling+
|Product stability (at 125 °C)||> 24 hours|