Ask Stepan Company Questions
Ask the Supplier
Popular Stepan Company ProductsView All Stepan Company Products
Knowde Enhanced TDS
Identification & Functionality
BIO-TERGE® PAS-8S Features & Benefits
- Lower foaming
- Hydrotrope that adds cleaning power
- Stable across wide pH range
- Compatible with hypochlorite and peroxide formulas
BIO-TERGE® PAS-8S is biodegradable.
Applications & Uses
BIO-TERGE PAS-8S is a high quality, light colored, aqueous solution of primary alkane sulfonate; it is a low foaming, biodegradable anionic surfactant with excellent coupling properties. BIO-TERGE PAS-8S provides good wetting and hydrotropic properties as well as stability over a wide pH range. BIO-TERGE PAS-8S offers versatility in formulating industrial and institutional cleaners due to its excellent solubility in highly acidic and alkaline systems as well as good compatibility with detergent builders and bleach.
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Actives Content (EW 242)||37.8||%||-|
|Critical Micelle Concentration (CMC)||10304||mg/l||-|
|Flash Point||77||°C||SETA Flash Point Tester|
|Sodium Sulfate Content||2||%||-|
|Viscosity (at 25°C)||17||cPs||-|
|Viscosity (at 60 °C)||8||cPs||-|
|Regulated Volatile Organic Chemicals (Isopropanol)||max. 5||%||U.S. EPA|
Regulatory & Compliance
- BIO-TERGE PAS-8S is exempt from the requirement of a tolerance under 40 CFR 180.940a, 180.940b, & 180.940c at end-use concentrations of no more than 121 ppm, 781 ppm, and 821 ppm, respectively, when ready for use. These CFR sections should be consulted for complete context before any conclusion is made as to the allowed regulated use.
- BIO-TERGE PAS-8S meets the U.S. EPA Safe Choice Program’s surfactant screen.
Safety & Health
BIO-TERGE PAS-8S is practically non-toxic orally (LD₅₀> 5 g/kg) and it causes moderate skin and eye irritation at 31% active. The product is not a dermal sensitizer.
Packaging & Availability
BIO-TERGE PAS-8S is available in bulk and in 55-gallon drums.
Storage & Handling
- Handle BIO-TERGE PAS-8S with care; use away from sparks and open flame. Use in well ventilated area. Contact with eyes, nose or prolonged skin contact should be avoided. Wash thoroughly after handling material.
- It is recommended that BIO-TERGE PAS-8S be stored in sealed containers and kept in a cool, dry place. If it cools below the cloud point, the product will separate. Once separated it is difficult to reconstitute even with heat and agitation. When separated the chemical properties are not affected. BIO-TERGE PAS-8S that has been stored cold may develop a haze. This is normal and does not affect its performance.
- Bulk Storage Information: BIO-TERGE PAS-8S should be stored in vessels of 316 stainless steel or fiberglass with a corrosion liner. Material should be stored between 60 – 80°F (16 – 27°C). An internal hairpin coil of stainless steel with low pressure steam (under 50 psig) should be used if heating is required. Mild agitation is required if the tank is heated. Material is heat sensitive and agitation prevents localized heating. Heating may not be required for inside storage if the tank is turned over frequently. Stainless steel 316 is preferred for pumps, pipes and transfer lines.